Alaska 06

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Stop Moving
I can't see anything if I'm moving. The light can bounce of things and hit my eye, but I still can see it if I'm moving.
I can't see the whales until the Taz's engines are shut down.
I can't see the Marjorie glacier until the Baranof Wind drops her anchor.
I can't see a shorebird until I stop paddling my kayak
I can't see the Exit Glacier until I set down my trekking poles
I can't see Mt. McKinley until I pull the F-150 to the side of the road
I can't see the bear until the Bus stops rumbling
I can't see my wife until we are sitting side by side

I guess its more about experiencing with multiple senses, not just seeing.

Smelling the whale breath, hearing the blow and the trumpet.
Hearing the glacier creak and groan and feeling the bone chilling coldness blow over the top.
Hearing the bird call and splash.
Feeling the sun and stretching my eyes to their peripheral edges to see more than even a wide angle lens could capture.
Hearing the brush rustle as the bear crawls through.
Feeling her warmth beside me.

I want to experience all of life with all those senses. They work together to create an experience. But they won't work until I first
Stop
Moving

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home